Wednesday 20 July 2011

A strange and fishy experience

It's Friday.  It's time for Tate Modern and the Miro exhibition which was great.  After that, Dalston and I pottered about.  We visited somewhere I'd been wanting to take him to for a while because as a person of great sensibility he would appreciate and be moved by the Cross Bones graveyard, which has been preserved and cared for by local people and by the local authority.  It is a moving tribute to some of those who have been and often still are most neglected in our society.


Following a drink in the Boot and Flogger opposite, pleasant, quiet (we weren't far off closing time given that it was past 6pm).  It's also a very nice place to eat good, wholesome food.  On the occasions I've been there with my friend from Peckham, Scarlett, I've invariably plumped for the gammon and egg with (that's with black pudding) - utterly delicious.


But I'd booked us a table at Applebee's fish café in Borough Market.  It's also a fine fish shop - where everything looks and undoubtedly is spankingly fresh.  And where the staff (at least some of them) appear to be exceedingly strange.


We'd booked for 7pm and were amongst the first there for evening service, with perhaps one other couple.  There was rather horrible techno-type music playing which I asked to be turned down, pointing out politely that we had come to talk to each other rather than listen to music.  Whereupon the waiter cupped is hand to his ear (pretending to be deaf you understand) and said, what?  I repeated the request and he turned down the music.  I then asked Dalston if he would prefer it if the music were turned off completely (I certainly did) and he said yes.  I then asked the same waiter to turn the music off completely.  He bridled slightly at this, saying that the music added to the ambience.  I said that it wasn't adding to our enjoyment of the ambience in the slightest and mentioned that I had found his earlier behaviour quite offensive not least because the friend I was with does actually have a hearing impairment.  No apology.  He did turn the music off.  In fact, I found his behaviour offensive anyway.


The food was very nice and the wine was reasonably priced and delicious. When we didn't finish the latter there was no quibble from the waitress (who was pleasant and efficient) retrieving a cork for us and re-stoppering the bottle to take home (we had at least half a bottle left).  Dalston and I chose the set menu, at £17.50 an excellent deal.


We had the chickpea and mussel soup.




Spot the chickpeas lurking in the bottom right of the photo.  As Dalston correctly pointed out the mussels were so delicious, fresh and soft, perfectly cooked that it seemed a shame to eat them - really one should save them.  Whilst I cannot recreate the taste, they have been saved for posterity.




We followed with swordfish, a nice thick fillet, with grilled peppers and sautéed potatoes, actually they were billed as roast potatoes but they were in fact sautéed.  A minor quibble, but to be frank I'm still a bit hacked off by the pretending to be deaf dumb show from the waiter.  At least I hope he was just a waiter - horrors, he might have been the manager in which case I dread to think how he treats his other customers.  The waitress took pains to point out that the swordfish would be served medium rare (actually when I think of some of the people I've had the misfortune to come across who would carbonise everything they could I can understand why she would feel the need to do this).


We were very happy with that and in fact asked for it to be rare in the middle.  It was nicely cooked but it wasn't medium rare - it was cooked through.  Tasty though.


By this time, I was distracted by my delightful company so I forgot the photos.  Dalston did say that he would like to try the menu on Saturday night when there's a special deal on for advance bookings, but I'm a little wary.  I'm happy to challenge the music/ambient idiots any time, but perhaps we'll leave it for a while.


Besides for reasons which I need not go into here, this is one of a short series of fish suppers and there are a few other places to try yet.


Having seen it for the first time on the bus back North, I must admit that I rather fancy Faulkner's on Kingsland Road or Dotori in Finsbury Park.  We'll see.


Anyway, it was back to Hackney for tea and a special treat, purchased by Dalston earlier - the best cheesecake.  Made by Rinkoff it was a käsekuchen to savour, with sultanas even.  Cheesecake with Dalston, and with sultanas - truly a leaven of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment