Wednesday 15 June 2011

Maybe it's because I'm a (North) Londoner...

that I love North London.  Well, that's not exactly earth-shattering is it?  I mean there must be some of you who remember the (in)famous Time Out London edition - North/South London Sucks! [delete as applicable].  You can guess which copy I bought!  I always think the thing to do with prejudice is to acknowledge that we are all prejudiced and we need to be aware of our prejudices and combat them.

I'm trying, honest I am.  And it's largely thanks to wonderful friends like PRE (Peckham Rye Eats) that I am, I hope, succeeding in becoming a more accepting and tolerant person.  As with all prejudice, it's occasioned by fear.  I'm afraid that when I cross the river to go down South where you'all live, I'll get lost - presumably in Savannah or the Everglades the way I'm carrying on right now, just like Scarlett - which raises the question - where's Rhett when you need him? - or, alternatively, a St Bernard complete with brandy to guide me to my destination. 

Yep, I'm just a scaredy-cat.  However, friendship draws me South and to Peckham I have been, and not for the first time either.  It's much better now that I've worked out the simple way to get to where I need to go (the 141 to London Bridge and then the 343 does it for me).  Enough of the rambling, and more of the reason for the ramble.

I came, we played with a gorgeous kitten newly ensconced in a loving home, we went to Franklins restaurant in East Dulwich.  Those who live near to Lordship Lane will know that there's also a deli, which is very nice, has delicious comestibles, and is very expensive.  Mind you, it's worth going in to have a gander and, in my case, on a previous occasion, to sniff the summer truffles - sniffing is free and it's the best bit of a truffle really.  One can't underrate the olfactory sense in my view.  As well as truffles, a friend and I have been known to Algerian Coffee Stores in Old Compton Street to sniff the coffee - and to satisfy our respective urges with what must be some of the best espresso in London.  Franklins the restaurant is equally delightful in terms of food and service, and very reasonable.  It was a weekday, we had the set lunch.  If I lived nearby, I'm sure I would be tempted to cajole my lovely friend into making this a regular (weekly/fortnightly?) event.
We started with smoked salmon, cucumber and creme fraiche, flecked with dill as you can see.  It looked and I'm reliably informed tasted delicious.  I had the ox heart with red cabbage which was extraordinarily good.  Now, I see ox heart here and there, as does my Peckham friend, blessed as she is with Peckham High Street (which I love, I'd move to SE15 just for Peckham High Street, seriously - I mean, I love North London, I know great places on Green Lanes and elsewhere, but wow - that is one great High Street).  So, I've seen ox heart, but I never knew what one could do with it and trust me, at Franklins, they work magic to warm your heart - and the one you're eating.

 And this is what we both chose for our main course.  Calves' liver, with delectably crispy fried onions, and beetroot in a red wine sauce.  Ooh, it was divine.  And my goodness, they serve a fine chip too - just the one portion between the two of us. Crisp, fluffy, tasting of potato - exactly as a chip should be.  The calves' liver which I asked to be served pink wasn't pink, but it was perfectly cooked and, as it was thinly sliced, the lack of pinkiness can be forgiven.

For pudding, my companion had the pistachio and polenta cake with poached rhubarb - slightly dry, it was soon moistened with a shallow pool of single cream - quite delicious.  And I had the Yorkshire curd tart which came with lovely thick, vanilla-speckled whipped cream which, to my mind, was wholly unnecessary.  As you can see by this stage I'd forgotten about my blog - do you know, I think we were just enjoying ourselves too much until it was too late - as in we'd eaten our puds.  Clever friend though suggested that I take these pictures to convey to you how truly enjoyable they were.  A lovely afternoon, great company and great food.

No comments:

Post a Comment