Tuesday 27 September 2011

A brief interval - Neal's Yard Salad Bar

Middle Temple - the view towards Chancery Lane
Prior to a performance of The Tempest in the Tudor Hall in Middle Temple, Dalston and I stopped off for a brief interval at Neal's Yard Salad Bar which I'd recommend highly.  It was a Monday, and a bank holiday at that, so my other two options: Kulu Kulu Sushi in Shelton Street; and Food for Thought which I haven't been to for at least 15 years were both closed. 

So, Neal's Yard Salad Bar it was and, the other two worthies notwithstanding, I think both Dalston and I would happily go there again.  Dalston went for big balls, codfish balls on in Portuguse "bolinhos de bacalhau".  A very good choice.  They were delicious.  Crisp on the outside but meltingly creamy, slightly salty and cod-tasting on the inside, served with a soya mayonnaise.  I had the feijoada (last eaten over 20 years ago in Rio de Janeiro) and remembered how tasty it was.  It was served with the most delicious fried plantain with an almost tempura like batter coating it I've ever tasted in my life - or indeed thought I would, some very nice rice and some utterly delicious chili salsa.

Dalston ordered a hot ginger tea - something which he has now adopted, adapted and which is utterly delicious.  We followed it, of course, with a visit to Scoop the best ice cream in London (again).  This time, Dalston went for the coconut (his favourite), and the Malaga, which is made with real Sicilian marsala wine and Chilian (are they the flame ones, it doesn't say so on the website, but I suspect they are) sultanas.  I had the chocolate grand cru sorbet (oh my goodness) and coconut, an ice cream Bounty bar - but so much better.  The Malaga was a revelation.  All of their flavours are revelatory.  We love Scoop, we really do.  See previous posts for more eulogising of Scoop - and for that matter, future posts too.

Is it worth reproducing a photo of my previous cioccolata extra fondente sorbetto and nocciola?  I think so!

Ciao bello gelato!

No comments:

Post a Comment